Water softener while on vacation

Q and A

Water softener while on vacation

Postby BrentS » Mon Dec 17, 2007 1:08 pm

I'm going to be leaving my house for ~2 weeks for the holidays. Typically I turn off the water supply to the house when I'm gone for more than a couple days (obvious reasons). Now that I have a water softener, what should I do with it? I assume I don't want to leave it powered up or else it will (try to) regenerate without any water. If it makes a difference, the softener is a Clack WS-1 that I purchased from Gary and installed about 2-3 months ago.
BrentS

Re: Water softener while on vacation

Postby Gary Slusser » Mon Dec 17, 2007 5:50 pm

The night before you leave, push the Regen button. That will cause Regen today to flash on the screen and that will cause a regeneration at 2:00 AM. The next day as you leave, turn off your water and unplug the softener.

When you come back, turn on the water and plug in the softener. Set the correct time of day. Then run cold water at all sinks for 30 seconds and flush all toilets and at one sink the hot for 30 seconds. That flushes all the two week old and stagnant water out of the plumbing and softener. Then push the Regen button, regen today will be flashing and it will do a regen at 2:00 AM OR better yet, hold the regen button in until the motor starts and let go. That will do a manual regen two hours from then. After those two hrs, don't use any water for the next 1 hr 15-30 minutes or until the softener is finished. After the regeneration you have fresh and soft water and you're back on your old schedule. Hopefully the vacation went as easy as leaving the softener home alone and coming home to it and the house. :)
Gary Slusser
To correctly size a softener Click Here
Gary Slusser
Site Admin

Re: Water softener while on vacation

Postby BrentS » Mon Dec 17, 2007 7:02 pm

Easy enough. Thanks!
BrentS

Return to Questions & Answers