Slime inside of toilet tank

Q and A

Slime inside of toilet tank

Postby chadhuiz » Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:19 pm

Hello Gary. I have a question about my water. I purchased a softener from you about a year ago and everything has been great except my wife and i were noticing a pink/orange ring developing in our toilets over time. My neighbor said they have been using Morton Rust Remover pellens and there ring problem resolved. I did start using some of the morton bags and they seem to have worked.

Inside my toilet tanks I have a brown sediment on the sides and bottom of the tank. When you rub the bottom of the tank where the bolts and rubber flapper are the film comes off easily and feels slimy on the flapper (I think this is because the flapper is so smooth). Rubbing the inside of the tank still feels rough.

From the little reading i've done it seems like this is iron reducing bacteria possibly.

What is the best way to treat this?
Do I even need to treat it or just clean my tanks?
Also, is the pink/orange ring the same thing?

Thank you very much for all your help!!!
Chad H.
chadhuiz

Re: Slime inside of toilet tank

Postby Gary Slusser » Thu Mar 20, 2008 12:12 pm

Hi Chad.

If the pink ring is in the toilet bowl and at the water line, it is caused by an airborne bacteria. You can search for it with Google etc. and read all about it.

IRB causes a clear to rusty orangish brown to black slime at and under the water line, the sides of the tank will not feel rough. The bacteria is harmless to humans and pets. Unless the water develops an odor or your softener starts having problems, you do not need to treat it. The only treatment is to kill it and you can not use a UV light to do that.

Has your water always been 0 gpg soft?
Gary Slusser
To correctly size a softener Click Here
Gary Slusser
Site Admin

Postby chadhuiz » Thu Mar 20, 2008 12:59 pm

To be honest, I'm not sure what my treated gpg is. I've never quantitatively tested the water. We did have one water treatement service show up and talk about different types of treatment systems. I told this gentleman about your website and the entire ordering process . He questioned whether or not my softener was working because my stainless steel sink was very cloudy and spotty like it has hard water stains. He did do a hard water test and said our water was soft and couldn't explain why the sink looked so bad.

Actually Gary, I do periodically have to clean my sink with CLR to help get some of the film off. It has looks white and cloudy like it's salt residue.

I read about the pink ring being Serratia Marcesens and it being airborne. We did build a new home about a year ago, but the ring always seem to come back even though we keep the lid and the windows closed.
chadhuiz

Postby Gary Slusser » Thu Mar 20, 2008 9:01 pm

I meant was your softened water always soft (0 gpg of hardness). I sent you a kit to check that with if you think the softener is not working correctly.

There are a number of things other than hardness that can cause your sink problems. Sulfates, chlorides and TDS content will cause the water spots you are seeing.

If you mean you haven't had your raw unsoftened water tested for hardness or knew the hardness of city water, you couldn't program the control valve properly and you should have it tested if you have a well, or go to the water company's web site and find their water quality report and note the hardness in their system and then call me when you can be at the softener. We'll go over your settings and make sure they are correct.

Serratia Marcesens is what I was talking about. If it is outside in the air, it will be in the air in the house. It can show up in any open container with standing water in it. I've had it at my house in dog water bowls.
Gary Slusser
Gary Slusser
Site Admin

Postby chadhuiz » Fri Mar 21, 2008 12:45 pm

Gary, I did have my raw, unsoftened water tested and you sent me all the information for programming, so i should be all set there. Like I stated before, I am using the Morton Rust Remover pellens and I know you recommend the solar crystal salt because it will dissolve completely during the brining process. My wife was concerned about using the super iron out because of it's toxicity.

What is the best way I can perform a double rinse following a manual regeneration with the Super Iron Out? I just want to appease my wife and make sure the iron out is all rinsed away before we start using the softener again.
Do you feel I should filter out the sulfates, chlorides or TDS contents?

Thanks again.

Chad
chadhuiz

Postby Gary Slusser » Fri Mar 21, 2008 2:08 pm

If you use the amount of Iron Out I told you and do it as I instructed, all the Iron out will be rinsed to drain during the 2nd backwash and then the final rinse. And actually I don't know how you'd have any left in the softener if you used as much as say 5 lbs. It will all be rinsed out while none can be introduced to your water plumbing. There is no need to do more 'rinsing' than that and if you did, you are using capacity and salt needlessly. Fear is usually caused by not knowing facts and reacting to fears causes problems. Let her read what I've said and if she still has questions ask and I'll answer them. Unless there is something wrong with the softener, IO or salt or dirt in the salt tank that is next to impossible to suck it out of the tank, can not be left in the softener. And if there is any of that stuff left in the softener, you will smell IO and taste salt. The dirt is backwashed out of the resin bed, but then you find out what is wrong with the softener and fix it.

Removing sulfates and chlorides is very expensive. You use an anion type resin in a softener configuration and regenerate with softener salt. It should be solar crystal salt. Pelletized salt builds up in the bottom of the salt tank displacing water to cause more build up which requires cleaning every year or two. The same for potassium chloride salt substitute but it is worse than salt pellets.
Gary Slusser
Gary Slusser
Site Admin

Postby chadhuiz » Fri Mar 21, 2008 2:36 pm

Thanks again Gary for your help. I will show my wife the forum here and hopefully her fears will be put to rest. I will switch back to solar crystal salt using your iron out method and all should be well. Again, you have been very helpful with all your responses, I greatly appreciate the help.
chadhuiz

Postby Gary Slusser » Fri Mar 21, 2008 4:40 pm

No problem. You know you can call me too.
Gary Slusser
Gary Slusser
Site Admin

Return to Questions & Answers