WS1 EE

Q and A

WS1 EE

Postby sailfast » Sun Aug 16, 2009 3:41 pm

What are the differences between the WS1 and the WS1 EE?

There are some obvious differences in the "user interface" -- to me, at first glance anyway, the regular WS1 has a somewhat friendlier display than the EE version. Not a huge deal once I found the correct instructions for the EE. Are there any other significant differences?

As far as I can tell, I received the "EE" version in my shipment this week (the board version number starts with "5", and the front panel matches pictures of the WS1EE on Clack's website).
I was expecting the regular WS1, so the differences in the display etc. threw me for a little while.

Just want to make sure they have shipped me the correct valve/controller, before I hook it all up.

Thanks!
Tom
sailfast

Re: WS1 EE

Postby Gary Slusser » Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:27 pm

It's easy to tell an EE from a WS-1.

So if you have an EE, they will have to send you a WS-1, the EE is a 1.5" valve.

I've never had this before so I will tell them and see what they say as to getting the EE back. I'll let you know as soon as I know.

Sorry for the problem but they'll take care of it. You should have called me as soon as you saw it.

Do not install it on the resin tank.

Did you get the right bypass valve and plumbing connectors? How about the distributor tube; it's 1.05" OD.

Is there anything else wrong or missing?
Gary Slusser
To correctly size a softener Click Here
Gary Slusser
Site Admin

Postby sailfast » Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:08 am

Hi Gary,
I didn't want to bug you on a Sunday by calling.

Fortunately I was following your advice to study and program the valve controller before installing it. That's what I was doing yesterday afternoon and I quickly realized that the instructions were not matching the unit. So I have not installed it on the resin tank.

The bypass valve they sent me fits the EE, and the plumbing connectors fit the bypass. The plumbing connectors are definitely 1" MPT.

I think the distributor tube is correct. I didn't have a chance this AM to run down to the crawlspace and measure it but I remember it looked to be roughly 1" OD. The hole in the top basket (which was still in the box indoors) matches the 1.05" measurement.

I got the correct amount of resin, etc.

Please ask the distributor to expedite the shipment of the WS1 so I can wrap up the project. I hope that they do not need to wait for the EE unit to be returned before they will ship this. As far as returning the other one, I will await instructions -- I have access to UPS, FedEx etc. drop offs.

I am going to post a few pictures that I took this morning just to positively ID this unit, in case it will help.

DSC_0005.JPG

DSC_0006.JPG

DSC_0007.JPG

DSC_0008.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
sailfast

Postby Gary Slusser » Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:55 am

No you don't have a WS1.5 EE.

You have a WS-1 for a twin tank softener.

Here's a picture of a 1.5 EE. See the location of the drain line fitting on the right...
ws15ee.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Gary Slusser
Gary Slusser
Site Admin

Postby sailfast » Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:34 pm

Well, that explains another mystery! When I had the cover off, there was a connector marked "Alternator". Not connected to anything, of course. But I guess that comes into play when you do a twin tank "alternating" setup.

Of course I was thinking "alternator" in the automotive sense :D

Anyway, looks like somebody in shipping just grabbed the wrong box.

I will try to call you this afternoon to see if you found out anything from the distributor yet.

Thanks
Tom
sailfast

Postby Gary Slusser » Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:14 pm

The supplier (the same as my other one) has gone to a new version of the WS-1 and you have received one. My rep didn't know they were shipping it until he read my email this morning.

So call me when you can program it and I'll walk you through it. And if I don't answer, leave a message and I'll call you back as soon as I can.
Gary Slusser
Gary Slusser
Site Admin

Postby sailfast » Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:25 pm

I'll try to call tomorrow evening (Eastern time) to do the programming.

Meanwhile, have you even encountered problems with the backup battery not saving the time of day? If I set the clock, and unplug the unit for about 5 seconds or more, then plug back in, it loses the time. I pulled the battery and it seems to test OK (at 3 volts). Have tried removing and reinserting numerous times to make sure it's making contact.

Anything else I should try?
Thanks
Tom
sailfast

Postby Gary Slusser » Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:14 am

Plug it in for a few hours and see what happens then.
Gary Slusser
Gary Slusser
Site Admin

Postby sailfast » Tue Aug 18, 2009 5:19 pm

I plugged it in early this morning and set the clock, and headed off to work. Back home now, I unplugged it for about 10 seconds or so, and as before, it lost the time and went back to 12:00.

The battery still checks out at just over 3 volts, which is its rated size.
sailfast

Postby Gary Slusser » Tue Aug 18, 2009 5:35 pm

It probably has to be put into Service before it will 'work'. If not we'll replace the board.

You were going to call to go through the programming.
Gary Slusser
Gary Slusser
Site Admin

Return to Questions & Answers